Materials: Stainless steel
Dimensions: 590mm wide x 310mm high, lower edge 285mm above footpath
Australian Commonwealth Military Forces
This plaque commemorates the memory of the Services men and women of the Commonwealth of Australia Military Forces who occupied this site in the Parish of Glebe, between Hereford Street and Alfred Street, in various forms for 1915 through to the late 1990s.
Between 1915 and 1916 the land was purchased by the Commonwealth for Defence purposes under Land Acquisition Act 1906. Specifications were drawn up by the N.S.W Works Director, for erection of – drill hall with attached Latrine block, ???? store, fencing, gates and electrical lighting. Through the drill hall passed many members of the 55th and 53rd Battalions of WW1.
In the early 1970s the training depot was used by the WW11 Army Reserve (previously Citizens Military Forces) as a training depot, 2nd Ordinance Services unit and Engineering Depot – Regional Engineer. The location provided a steady flow of recruits for the Army reserve and the ease of access for the engineers to all metropolitan army units. In 1986 the drill hall was handed over for the use by Field Ambulance unit who occupied the premises to the end of the 1990s when it was eventually disposed of by the Commonwealth Government for residential use
Posted on September 8, 2015 for Peter Robinson