Who Lived on Your Street?
Benjamin Stone lived at 294 Glebe Point Rd from the time the house was built until two years before his death. Both his home and the stove he manufactured were christened Waratah.
Jane Suggate’s childhood was spent aboard a house built on top of a boat. Saving the cost of construction materials, and possibly in an effort to avoid paying land rates, her ferryman father had converted an iron steamer into his own “Noah’s Ark” on the water’s edge at Glebe Point.
One of Australia’s best-known Press cartoonists for over 40 years, Leslie Mervyn Tanner was born in 1927 when his parents were living at 12 Reuss Street Glebe.
James Henry Trammell was a US fugitive who settled in Glebe after escaping an Arkansas murder charge.
Victoria Rd, now widely known to residents and visitors alike due to the Jubilee stop on the Light Rail and the access to the Tramsheds, was created in the subdivision by George Boyce Allen in the period 1894-96 (south side) and 1902 (north side).
On board the Harbinger which docked in Sydney in February 1849 was the 13-member bounty immigrant Wearne family from Cornwall. The Wearnes went on to have many children (11 each was the norm).
The University Hotel on the corner of Glebe Rd and Broadway opened its doors to the public in December 1856. The original hotel was built for local businessman John Walton. Construction began in 1854. When completed, it was an imposing landmark on the road to Parramatta.
Vera White was born on 9 July 1901 at Glebe, the daughter of Ida Venette Haigh (1875-1959) and Walter John White (1875-1919), a printer, who married in 1899. The family were at 74 Forsyth St before moving to 6 Ferry Rd (in Richmond Terrace) where they lived from 1907 to 1915
Whittle was awarded the Victoria Cross for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on two occasions, near Boursies and Lagnicourt, France.
Phillip Coleman Williams built up a successful ironmongery and furnishing business in Forest Lodge.
Edward Windeyer, “Mr One-by-One” was convicted of having forged 417 £10 banknotes.
Frederick Henry Wood, who grew up at Margaretta Cottage in Glebe, served as a Trooper in the First Australian Light Horse Regiment during the Gallipoli campaign. In 1941, he put his age down to in the 12th Australian Water Transport Operating Company together with his four sons.
William Wood arrived in Sydney from London in 1890 to supervise the voicing and tuning of Sydney Town Hall’s newly acquired Grand Organ, reputed to be the largest in the world with one pipe nearly 20 metres long, and was contracted to remain in Sydney as its first regular tuner. At the time of his death he was living at 41 Westmoreland St Glebe and had an organ factory in Shepherd St Chippendale.
York St and York Lane Forest Lodge commemorate identical twins Charles and James York who owned land on Pyrmont Bridge Rd bounded by Ross St and Hereford St, north of today’s Forest Lodge School.
Glebe Primary dates its beginnings from 3 November 1858 when James Buckland (1824-85) enrolled two pupils in a public school conducted in a Wesleyan chapel in Francis Street.
Many female teachers did not last long, resigning because of poor pay, marriage or the pressures of classroom and constant travel from one school to another. Florence Beeby, who retired at age 30, her health “having permanently broken down”, had been posted to 13 schools – the last, Glebe Public.