by Judy Vergison, Events Coordinator, November 2021, updated December 2021
On Saturday 20th November the Glebe Society hosted a debate with the six City of Sydney Lord Mayoral candidates, standing for election this coming Saturday 4th December. Over 130 people attended in person and online via Zoom.
Before the debate all the candidates provided written responses setting out their position on key areas affecting Glebe.
- rezoning of parts of Glebe for high rise
- the retention of heritage conservation areas
- the Blackwattle Bay overdevelopment
- Wentworth Park, and
- the Bridge Road Cycleway
Their responses are below
- Sylvie Ellsmore _Greens Lord Mayoral Candidate_Key Positions
- Shauna Jarrett_Liberal_Lord Mayoral Candidate Key Positions
- Clover Moore_ Independent_ Lord Mayoral Candidate Key Positions
- Linda Scott_ Labor_ Lord Mayoral Candidate Key Positions
- Angela Vithoulkas_The Small Business Party_ Lord Mayoral Candidate Key Positions
- Yvonne Weldon _Unite for Sydney__ Lord Mayoral Candidate Key Positions
The need to protect Glebe’s character was brought home soon after the debate when the Sydney City Council Local Planning Panel approved the NSW Land and Housing Corporation’s application to erect two eight-storey apartment buildings on what had until recently been part of the St Phillip heritage conservation area. This makes the candidates’ answers to questions 7, 8 and 9 of particular interest.
I would like to thank the candidates for their participation and our members who organised the event, particularly our moderator Allan Hogan. Walking past the Broadway polling station on Monday I ran into a member of one of the election teams. He told me how impressed he was with the way the Society ran this event He said it was the best run meeting he had been to.
A recording of the Zoom debate can be viewed on our YouTube channel.