357 Glebe Point Road
1858 – 60. Architect Edmund Blacket. Classified by The National Trust
This handsome villa was the home of Edmund Blacket while he was designing the Great Hall of the University of Sydney. The walls are of handmade bricks, rendered to gve the appearance of stone coursing. It has an attached single-storey verandah of decorative cast iron.
NSW State Records show that the NSW Government purchased the property in about 1920, "to be used as a depot for State Children. By 1939 Bidura housed boys up to 6 yrs of age and girls up to 18 yrs, with an attached school operated by a governess. Bidura operated as a receiving home where children were temporarily accommodated awaiting placement in foster homes or awaiting transfer to other establishments." It ceased functioning as a children's home in February 1977, when it was planned to build the Metropolitan Remand Centre and Bidura Childrens Court at the rear.
Bidura was restored by NSW Public Works in the 1980s. It has a fine ballroom located seperately to the right of the main building. Bidura House has been occupied since about 2000 by the DoCS Centre for Parenting and Research.
Posted on June 1, 2008 by Peter